Yesterday I pushed some more updates to this site. The update that can be noticed is that the design is now responsive. Under the hood I am using a new plugin to manage the portfolio section.
The design now adjusts for viewing on mobile and tablet browsers along with desktop browsers. I revised the approach I was taking for displaying individual projects in order to create a consistent viewing experience for all projects on all devices. If you viewing this from your desktop feel free to resize the browser window and test it out.
When I first launched this site I was using a custom post type with custom taxonomies to manage the portfolio section. I recently came across Devin Price’s Portfolio Post Type plugin which is doing the same thing, just with a little more polish. I have switched to using this plugin in place of the code I had in my theme.
Some of the benefits of using this plugin are:
- It adds a portfolio count to “right now” widget on the dashboard.
- Post thumbnails, categories and tags are displayed in the column view in the admin. This makes managing post much easier.
- Custom icon display for Portfolio menus.
- Having this code in a plugin and not in my theme files will make redesign’s easier in the future.
- The plugin is also available on GitHub in case I ever want to fork it to modify to my needs.